Goodbye, Vatti...
by missP on Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:09 pm
I wanted to greet everyone Happy Easter, but I am not really in a very HAPPY mood today. Actually, since yesterday.

My father in law passed away yesterday from a very long sickness. It was actually sudden death despite the fact that he has been sick during the last 35 years or so. We never expected it to happen this year. After the doctors declared him dying some 35 years ago, who would expect it to happen only now, right?

So, my hubby was there with him when he passed away, since it was already previously planned that hubby would be spending his Easter vacation with his parents. Me on the other hand, having had to work during the holidays, stayed behind here in Frankfurt.

As I parted with my hubby last Friday morning, I even ordered him not to tease his father so much. I remember I told him to "be nice to father!" This was because father has been nagging his kids for a satellite dish that he wanted set up at home. He has been going on about it for almost two weeks I think, hence, the kids were slowly getting irritated. Besides, we all thought that it would not be good for him, since he needed to get out of his lair to get some fresh air and a bit of exercise. But of course, stubborn as he is, he never listened to our reasons. In the end, his kids consented to give him something else. A DVD player where he could play all the documentary series and more other stuff which will be provided for by his kids of course. After several telephone discussions about it, father said okay to the idea. So, when hubby was ready to go, I reminded him again to be nice to father after all those hoollabalu about the dish. He said, he would.

When he got to his parents' house, he called me and we chatted for sometime over the phone. I also talked to my father in law very shortly. He said that he was happy that ML was there and also not so happy that I couldn't make it to be with them. I told him that there will be other times. He sounded so healthy and so happy at that time. There was even a bounce to his voice that did not really make me worry or so. After I talked to him, I chatted with may MIL for awhile and then we said our goodbyes.

It was not until the following day at around lunch time of Saturday that my hubby called me again and told me that something happened. I was so worried, that I asked him what. He then gave me the sad news. I asked if maybe father was just sleeping. But he said no, that the medics was already there. The doctor declared him dead already dead . They were just waiting for the people who will take father to the place where he will lay until after Easter. Then there will be a Memorial service to be followed by the burning of the remains. But the exact schedule was not yet defined.

I remember the first time I met this sweet, cranky old man almost 10 years ago. He was immediately very kind to me. He made me feel like I have been a member of the family for such a longtime already. He welcomed me with such a big heart and offered only nothing but kindness to me. When my sisters came to visit the whole family, he and his wife, my mother in law were so nice to them, too. When my mom came to visit, it was like no boundaries were between the two cultures except of course for the language.

Speaking of language, he had only one wish that he told me after I met him the first time. He said that he would wait 10 years until I would be able to converse with him in German. I promised him that in 5 years I would be able to do it already.

Indeed, after almost 10 years, (9 years and 9 months) to be exact, he left us never to come back again. We will cherish his memories and photos in our hearts. I'll remember the days where I used to go with him, Mutti and hubby through the forest for our little walks. We used to sing and do some exercise along the way. Up and down the hilly path of the small forest there in Gäfenthal, through the old fabric factories, old railway tracks with his little Anka. the I will always remember him as a funny loving person, who survived the dictated world he was in and fought his sickness for such a longtime.
During service at the church this morning, I was so sad. I know I should be happy that at long last, my FIL is not feeling any pains anymore, that he is together with our Creator by now. An that he is already at peace. Still I couldn't help feeling sad. For now I know that I wouldn't be able to share with him lessons about life. That I would not be able to hear his sometimes harsh but really funny jokes. Because despite the fact that he has been sick for so long, he still managed to see good things in life.

And of course, he was also cranky at times, but hey, who wouldn't be? If I were in his shoes, I don't even think I would managed to last let alone a couple of years. And I would be cranky and grouchy all the time. But in my Father-in-Law's case, after he was diagnose ill, not even insurance companies would take him anymore, because they thought he wouldn't last for another 6 months or so. But he survived for more than 35 years until it finally happened.

To my dear Vatti, wherever you maybe now, I will always love you and remember you. And you will always have a spot in my heart where you will live forever. May your soul rest in peace!
Noong kami'y mga bata pa...
by missP on Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:43 am
Lunes na pala, ang bilis talaga ng panahon. Bagong topic na naman sa Litratong Pinoy. Ang paborito kong litrato? Hmmm, hindi ako ang kumuha nito, pero pabarito ko talaga ito. Kaarawan ito ng bro ko. Kasama namin ang mga pinsan ko sa side ng nanay ko.

So pagkaka alam namin, kami ang unang apat na panganay na apo ng Lola namin. Sabay sabay kaming lumaki. Kami-kami ang magkakasamang naglalaro sa bakuran, nag re-renta ng sapatos na de gulong sa plaza, minsan naman ay bisekleta. Kami-kami din ang magkakasamang nanonood ng sine noon. Paborito naming dalawang babae ang mga palabas ni Sharon Cuneta, hehehe.. OO Shawie fan ako. Nagpakuha pa nga ako ng litratong may autograph ni Tita Shawie noon sa Tita ko na writer na nakatira sa Maynila.

Siyempre, yung dalawang lalaki, naba-baduyan dawsa paborito naming panoorin na mga palabas ni Sharon, kaya ang ginagawa namin, sabay kaming nagpupunta sa sine, tapos, hiwalay na kami ng pianpanood na palabas. Nag-uusap kami na magkita-kita nalang sa laabs ng sinehan pagkatapos panoorin ang pelikula. Ang usapan, dahil may double namana ang mga palabas sa probinsiya, pagkatapos na 4 oras, dapat nasa meeting place na namin kami. Hahaha, o diva, bongga kaming magpi pinsan.

Ang mesa na nasa litrato ay isa ding napakahalaga na mesa sa buhay naming magpi pinsan. Halos lahat ng espesyal na okasyon sa buhay namin na aming pinaghandaan ay sa mesa na iyan ilatag. Yan ang naka to-ka na mesa para sa amin mga yagit (yan ang tawag ng mga tita at tito namin sa aming apat). Bawat bertdey, komunyon, at kung anu-ano pang ka ek-ekan na pinaghandaan namin sa aming mga munting paraan ay dito namin pinagdiwang sa mesa na ito. Buhay pa rin ang mesa na ito. Kaya paborito ko ito kasi talaga namang napaka memorable ng litratong ito para sa akin. Sa tuwing pinag mamasdan ko ang litratong ito, bumabalik sa isipan ko ang aking kabataan...Ang sarap! Ang saya!

After almost ten years of marriage... this is what happens.
by missP on Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:54 am
Amazing how time really flies. It's as if it was only yesterday that I used to have pimples and baby fat in all the wrong places. Well I still have baby fat in all the wrong places now, buwahahaha...but the pimples I seldom get them nowadays. Thanks to Procter and Gamble for their Oil of Olay products, Wink plugging na ito, hehehe.

I spent the whole day at home today. I was supposed to go to work, but I played hockey and skipped it. What the heck, I have been working every Christmas and New Year for the last three consecutive years now. I deserve this break, bleh!

So, okay, I didn't really do much. Baked a cake, cleaned up after the mess from the previous night. Slept a little bit in the afternoon. Then received guests earlier tonight. By the time I sat down in front of my comp, preparing to write an entry for this blog and several others, I was still up and chirpy.

I started clicking away, bloghopping and surfing. Reading some news first before getting down to the ultimate task. As I was starting to reflect on what I should be writing as my first entry for the year, hubby, who is busy playing with his new phone/organizer, suddenly asked me: "My love, what is your phone number?" I slowly turned my head to the right, where his desk is located next to mine. Glared at him and did not even give him an answer. He was of course just sitting there on his computer chair, with his toy in his hands and tapping at it like a child playing excitedly with his new Lego set. He didn't even bother to look at me. He still had that very eager look in his face as if wanting to finish a complete 1000 pieces puzzle.

Let me put it this way, I have been married to this sweet, loving man for a decade now, in a few months time anyway, and I have been using the same phone number since almost 6 years now. I may have other handy numbers but i hardly use it to call him. Since that other two numbers are exclusively for the Philippines and for my colleagues who have O2 subscriber, so that they can call me for free. or for a much cheaper price. My own number, which I have been using for a very long time now, (which I also have a partner number with hubby, by the way) is from E-Plus which has a bit higher per minute rate, hence, the extra numbers.

And here he is, this very caring, understanding, intelligent man... my hubby, asking me for my GSM/Moblie/Handy number: bash bash

Hmmnn, ... how should I react to this? bouncenburn bouncenburn
New Year .... a New Beginning
by missP on Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:49 am
I have been very quiet again, I know. Anyway, thanks for those who dropped by here. The lurkers and as well as to those who left their tracks. Belated Christmas greeting I send to you all, too.

Am not in Germany at the moment. Hubby and I are here in Belgium since the 23rd of the month. After which, we will be going to Switzerland for Hubby's appointments there. From then on, we will be dropping by in Munich for another interview and then to see a couple who used to live in Frankfurt.

It will be a very hectic vacation for us... but a vacation anyway. I thought it would not push through anymore, since my vacation request was only approved last minute. I submitted it last May 11th of this year, and I only got confirmation on the 21st of the month that I actually could take a vacation during the Holiday season. Thank goodness for that!

After we get back to Germany (which will only be by the end of the month), there will still be a lot of things to do. Documents to send to the U.S. and to other parts of the world. Then, hubby and I will need to sit down and talk about our move for the next year, 2009. There is a big chance that we will be staying in Germany, but there's also a big probability that we'll be moving somewhere else.

In general, life has been good to us. We really can't complain, we are doing well since we have been together. So far, we never had problems or complications such as between our jobs or family matters. I am hoping that it will stay the same.

But the move next year is inevitable. It will have to be so. By staying optimistic about it helps me a lot. Although, I will be giving up a lot of things that I worked for here in Germany settling in. I am sure it will still work out good for the both of us wherever we end up. I will have to quit my jobs and then once I have settled-in in the new place, look for something to do there again. But before doing so, I will try to enjoy first by getting to know the place where we will be staying for the next five years (minimum) or so of our lives.

I guess it is just in time... New Year, hence New Beginning to us!

Tell me...
by missP on Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:15 pm
Should I?...

Would I?...

There are some things that are best left unsaid...

I think...


Christmas pics
by missP on Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:16 am
My Christmas vacation was spent with my family in Bruxelles, Belgium. It was short, stressful and really fun just to be with my sisters and nephew, nice and cousins. Although I came back to Germany feeling sick and really tired, (hubby and I had to stop several times during the trip back in the end making a 4 hours drive 7.5 hours), I ‘d say, I would do it again co’z it was really worth the trip.

No, the baby is not mine, although I would love to have her and I know, that by the looks of me in these photos, I could have given birth to her...heheheh. I gained so much weight just from the vacation alone. Anyway, Baby Rory is only five months old but I swear, she doesn't fit in a five month old baby size. We had to look for another gift for her coz what we brought her wouldn't even fit her anymore. Imagine the shops all closed for the holidays... I tell you, we were running around Bruxelles looking for a special gift for Baby Rory. "Hay, nanay mo talaga Day. Pinabayaan ka sa Crib with ten bottles of milk every day for sure."
Gifts and surprises
by missP on Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:38 pm
I love gifts. I can't wait long enough to open them. I get so excited upon seeing them that when I was just a kid, I oftentimes got in trouble for peaking into somebody else's gift or un-wrapping mine when I was not supposed to yet.

Hubby knows this. At least he is aware of this attitude of mine. So, when he has something gift wrapped for me, he has to hide them somewhere else like in the basement or something. Once, he hid my birthday gift behind the exercise machine... but it so happened that I wanted to exercise that week, so i found out about his secret...hehe. I know. I can ruin the fun. I tried anyway not to let him know that I knew already what was in store for me. He must have found out anyway, because the next times he buys me a present in advance, he doesn't wrap it anymore until a few minutes before he would give it to me. But it can still get complicated trying to wrap something hurriedly because i would definitely start noticing that he disappeared all of a sudden. So there, the surprise would then be blown away.

This year, he tried it first with my flat screen monitor for my comp. I swear, I didn't even notice that there was something for me in the pantry. It was not wrapped nicely nor was it hidden in the innermost part of the tiny room. It was just sitting there, behind the packs of lemonade and tetra packed tea. Still, I didn't notice it. I was up late on the eve of my birthday. I watched some Tagalog films till very late that night. Just about a few minutes before midnight, hubby woke up. I could hear him going to the toilet and then to the bathroom. I was still so busy engrossed in the film "Sukob" with Kris Aquino that I didn't even get up to see what hubby was up to. A few minutes afterwards, he peaked at me and said he was going back to bed. I just nodded to let him know I heard.

When I went back into the computer room half an hour later to turn off the computers, there I saw right in front of me is my brand new Acer flat screen monitor. I didn't have a single clue about it. What hubby did was, he went to the pantry, took the flat screen monitor and set it up in the computer room. With a rose in front of it and a note greeting me happy birthday, the new screen gleamed right there in the middle of my comp table. That was the first time he really surprised me... is that so sad after 7 years of marriage?

The next surprise that came to me was just last week. I knew about the camera. It was a promise so it did not come quiet as a surprise. Yet, it still didn't escape my fast fingers. The minute I entered the living room and noticed a new box, I knew it was my Kodak Easyshare Dual Lens V570. I know, I am quiet an undisciplined brat you would think, hehehe. I unpacked it and started clicking away. I am just a novice at taking pictures so the first ones are not really very good. But, hey, I am learning everyday.

Trivia: Were the pictures taken at sunrise or sunset?

The biggest surprise is my Logitech Pro 5000. It actually came with the camera package, but this was something I did not expect since I have my old useful Logitech Quickcam Express already. As it turned out, hubby thought I would be able to use this new webcam better. It has better photo quality and definitely the best audio system to boot with it. You see, I have been spending sometime in karaoke chat rooms as I mentioned in my previous entry. I also sang a few, much to the other chatters dismay, hahaha. No, I am not making a career out of chatting yet… but, let’s just say I frequently visit the chat rooms nowadays. So if you happen to be visiting any tagalog rooms in Paltalk, I hope to see you there, too. Or even hear you sing there too. Common' let's sing our lungs out this Christmas!

The mug is a favorite of mine. I don't have a real live pet cat that purrs but this one accompanies me every single day. I do the purring anyway, each time i have a cup of my favorite Redbush Honey-Vanilla flavored tea Wink
Merry Christmas Everyone!
by missP on Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:36 pm
Christmas is just around the corner. The Christmas lights has been set up, as well as decorations like the very popular Santa climbing up somebody's window instead of stepping into the chimney's can be seen since the first week of December. The stores are now on the swing with their holiday sales. They even changed their opening hours till 22:00 instead of the usual 20:00. At least this is in effect in Hessen now. Christmas carols can be heard everywhere. The Christmas market in Frankfurt has been visited. And yes, thugs and thugs of Gl?hwein are currently consumed by the foreigners and Germans alike. But somehow it seems like it's not the middle of December. The weather has not been cooperating with the holiday air this year. No signs of snow yet and the temperature is like springtime. Not that I complain, but hey, something's gotta give. Question is what's missing in this years Christmas recipe?

music music Buh-bum.. buh-bum... music music

Santa baby, just slip a sable under the tree, for me
Been an awful good girl
Santa baby so hurry down the chimney tonight

Santa baby, a '54 convertible too, light blue,
I'll wait up for you dear
Santa baby, so hurry down the chimney tonight

Think of all the fun I've missed,
Think of all the fellows that I haven't kissed
Next year I could be just as good
If you check off my Christmas list

Santa baby, I want a yacht and really that’s not a lot
Been an angel all year
Santa baby, so hurry down the chimney tonight

Santa honey, one little thing I really need, the deed
To a platinum mine,
Santa baby, so hurry down the chimney tonight

Santa cutie, and fill my stocking with a duplex and cheques,
Sign your x on the line
Santa cutie and hurry down the chimney tonight

Come and trim my Christmas tree,
With some decorations bought at Tiffany's
I really do believe in you,
Let's see if you believe in me

Santa baby, forgot to mention one little thing, a ring,
I don't mean on the phone,
Santa baby, so hurry down the chimney tonight

Hurry down the chimney tonight

music music music music

Well, actually, I am missing the Christmas "parols" (lanterns) in our country. I am missing those huge stars glimmering in different colors and some even with music playing hanging on the porch or at the balcony of houses in the Philippines. I miss the bragging about between friends and colleagues as to who is religiously going to the simbang gabi (evening mass) starting Dec. 16 until Christmas day. I long for puto bungbong, bibingka and the ube snacks that we have at dawn after the mass. I miss the hot chocolate that goes with all these treats as well for without it, the snack is not complete. Most of all, I miss just being with the whole family. Lazying around the house, going to the groceries together, choosing and planning the menu that will be prepared on Christmas eve etc. I miss the comings and goings of relatives and friends. The unending questions as to who will accompany who to the grocery, or who will order the lechon and the cake, or who has to go for last minute Christmas gift shopping and so on and so fort.

My Christmas here in Europe is quiet different....well, almost boring. Hubby and I work until the 22nd of the December. Every now and then, when I have a day off or two, i try to go to the city and do my christmas shopping. I try to go shopping with very close friends, too. Or plan some events together with them. But of course, this is not the same and can never replace the “family thing” You see, the most important ingredient for a complete and happy Christmas for me is spending it with family and very close relatives. Ok, I admit, a few days before Christmas and until Christmas day it self, I go to Belgium and celebrate with my sisters and relatives there. With them, we connect via the internet to my mom and brother with his family in the U.S. and to my dad and our youngest brother in the Philippines. Can you imagine how chaotic it is really? Talk about what's new, what's old, who has had baby's, who got married, who got ditched and so on will be compressed on this one video conference. For yes, these are like the some of the news that we would get from the visits to our relatives during the holidays, specifically starting after the All Soul's Day celebration, until Christmas. In fairness, welcoming the New year together with my second family, (my in-laws) is the bonus that I am forever grateful.

Happy Holidays everybody. I hope you will be spending a wonderful and happy Christmas with your family and love ones. Let us embrace the coming of another year with full of love and good tidings!!!